Interior Design Student Showcase

So this happened yesterday! At our student showcase we held for the seniors we had an award ceremony. Four awards were given out from NKBA for the competition we participated in a week or so ago and than two others were given by our teachers. I'm very honored to have received this one! There are so many talented students and each of them are so supportive towards one another! I've never met a group of people/teachers who are so open and uplifting. I put forth tons of energy and work into the projects I complete. Not to show anyone up, but because I know this is my career path after working full time in the real world for a few years. This path is hard work and takes dedication! 








Spring 2014 Multi-Cultural Pagoda

In between research, we were assigned to make certain articles, structures, etc for the individual countries we were researching. My assignment happened to be a Chinese pagoda model. Using, modeling materials, foam core, spray paint, and various items from our local craft store, I slowly formed my model. The eaves were the hardest part to form. I found doll house ceiling tile at the craft store to paint and I thought it was perfect for the rooftop detailing. As for the greenery, I found ribbon moss that worked quite well.

Beginning structure

Finished Product

Spring 2014 Multi-Cultural Design

Multi-Cultural design project was yet another challenge this semester. The project itself was to design an Experiential Learning Culture Museum on three floors of an existing New York six-story building in Greenwich Village. The museum would serve families, class field trips, etc. We were given seven countries to research, plan, and implement on the three floors.

The beginning of the semester was mainly research in between other small multi-cultural assignments. Working through the design process, codes, international student interviews, pre-lim sketches, lighting analysis, and diagramming were addressed. After pre-lim layouts were formed, some of us found that our specific ideas and layouts would not work with the codes we worked through. Luckily, I found new solutions and addressed them early in the process. Finishes, FF&E, and lighting schedules slowly begin to form. So much work in Revit designing the spaces, adding schedules, forming floor plans, finish plans, furniture plans, RCPs, callouts, etc. Finally, I ended with quite a few pages of construction documents. On to one of my favorite parts of the design process! Rendering and presentation boards! This was a solo project all the way. Though we like to bounce ideas off of one another often. Here are my boards and project manual.

Board 1 of 2


Board 2 of 2


Spring 2014 Hospitality Design

Hospitality design was a great class this year. Having a part time job in hospitality design already has helped me tremendously. I've had on-the-job learning experience and real world situations to help with and learn through. I still learned in class of course so many ideas and systems began to link themselves.

Our project this semester was to choose a specific type of hotel, location, and then design it with a partner using the floor plans of one of the residence halls on campus. A residence hall and a hotel are, as you can imagine, quite different. So it was a challenge for each team. My partner and I had some great ideas right off so we dug into the project. Our hotel type is a Design Hotel. We decided to locate the hotel in Copenhagen, Denmark. We both liked the idea of a Danish design hotel. We focused on clean line and finishes with many pops of colors and unique furniture. We used a variety of different design methods and programs to complete our project and presentation boards. Many sketches, lots of Revit, photoshop, powerpoint, graphic design software, etc. We had one project manual and we both created our own boards. Here are my presentation boards and our manual!

Location and Demographics
Inspirational Images

 Presentation Boards 1 of 2

 2 of 2

Project Manual



Spring 2014 Lighting and Electrical Project

This semester lighting and electrical systems mainly consisted of many informational lectures, field trips, and mini-assignments. We had one final project. Our project was to layout lighting, electrical, HVAC, and fire safety systems in a future Southeast affiliated Creative Labs Incubator building. Unfortunately, I forgot to snap a pic of my final drafted project. These project begin by evaluating the floor plans, forming a lighting criteria matrix, choosing fixtures and lamps, and then determining footcandles needed/number of lamps needed. We then create pre-lim layouts, sketches, and end with final layouts and reflected ceiling plans. I, at least, have part of my project manual to post. Usually project manuals are the background part of all projects. They aren't always displayed but they're the "meat" of the project entirely. Presentation boards and rendered floor plans are usually my last steps for a project. A great presentation board can take me anywhere from 1-7 hours depending on the depth of the project and the amount of perfectionism I put into them. :) For now, here are bits and pieces from my latest lighting project.